Andrea Olsen, I finished your book! After holding on to it for 15 years, starting and stopping a million times, I got to day 31. As a way to get to know my knew home, I am gong to do the place visits in my yard, my new yard. Excited to continue on with the book.
The first word that came to mind for your last activity was AGE. Could age be explored in the context of Body and Earth?
- No judgment
- Age of new home: 88 years old. How was this house/land shaped by history? Great grandparents generation built it. Once, a Jewish neighborhood. The house of a Holocaust survivor.
- What did the land look like? Feel like? What was growing here?
- Age of me: 36 years old. How did my story lead me here? Now, interconnecting with the land. And not fragmenting it. Listening.
- Drink in wisdom from the land. Offer each other refreshment.
- Views of aging lands and aging bodies. Soil becomes richer and body/mind becomes richer with time.
- Strong relationships with the Earth over time = better health for both?
Today is completely open. My plan is to spend an hour with Andrea Olsen’s Body and Earth and then sink into course planning for the day. Some time in my body before losing myself in my laptop. I am designing a career networks in dance course for the GWU Dance MFA program and have drafted the syllabus outline; so, picking up where I left up shouldn’t be that difficult. This plan seems very doable, but first, I need to mark this moment.
We have been in our house for 16 days. During this time, I have not felt well. I have choked, cut myself by accident, had an allergic reaction to a mattress, and have had head-splitting migraines. Now, recovered, I can take control again. May felt so different, so relaxed, so full of possibility. June is the unfamiliar. Today, I am reframing you, June. You are the explorer. You are the new best friend. You are the guide. You will be accepting of my querkiness. You will be a time in my life that I will hold dear always. A time of deep internal exploration and external expression. A time that embraces an easy going lifestyle. A time of creative and spiritual discovery.
On to phase II of ilanaspace! Until now, this site has promoted performance experimentation, guided relaxation, & artist workshops in Washington, D.C. The new content is unknown, although the inspiration is abundant. Sending love from my new hometown of Kansas City. Please get in touch if you are ever passing through!